Learn how you can implement the kits in this leader tip sample.
Developing strong leaders is key to the successful implementation of any learning program and the AfterSchool KidzScience™ team, comprised of professionals from the Center for the Collaborative Classroom (formerly known as Developmental Studies Center) and the Lawrence Hall of Science (LHS), is here to support your capacity building efforts. If you are interested in professional development related to AfterSchool KidzScience™, we have options for you!
“Getting Started” Workshops, offered by the Center for the Collaborative Classroom:
This series of three to six-hour workshops offered by Collaborative Classroom will prepare you to use the AfterSchool KidzScience™ program by providing:
- A program overview
- Hands-on experience with the AfterSchool KidzScience™ kits
- Step-by-step guidelines for successful implementation
- Ways to build caring and supportive peer relationships
- Strategies to enhance cooperation among children and help build their communication
For information about the “Getting Started” Workshops provided by the Center for the Collaborative Classroom, please contact Megan Green.
“Going Deeper” Workshops, offered by the Lawrence Hall of Science:
These customized professional learning experiences help organizations that have already successfully implemented AfterSchool KidzScience™ to go deeper with their science program and staff skill development. Educators from LHS will work with you to tailor an experience that is just right for your programmatic goals and needs. Options include:
- Helping to build staff capacity to connect with the Next Generation Science Standards, with particular emphasis on the Science and Engineering Practices.
- Exploring engineering opportunities offered in the AfterSchool KidzScience™ kits.
- Supporting your efforts to incorporate the Common Core State Standards for ELA-Literacy into the AfterSchool KidzScience™ program, specifically through the use of Seeds of Science/Roots of Reading® student books paired with strategic literacy instruction.
- Partnering with you in the delivery of family–friendly, hands-on, science learning experiences.
- Providing strategic assistance with the effort to align the AfterSchool KidzScience™ program with the formal day instructional program.
Fee-based custom "Going Deeper" workshops, with options for follow-up coaching, can be arranged for your site. A certificate of completion is provided to all workshop participants. For further questions regarding the AfterSchool KidzScience™ program, please contact Traci Wierman.
Webinars to support the use of AfterSchool KidzScience kits are available below.
How-to and Leader Tip Videos
AfterSchool KidzScience Video Clips share strategies for how to lead the activities easily and effectively. Leader Tips videos provide suggestions for guiding and managing children in afterschool science activities.
Is your site locked out of YouTube? If so, you can access all the AfterSchool KidzScience videos from iTunes U To do so you must have iTunes installed on your computer. Then you can download "How To" videos for each kit and the "Leader Tips" video collection.
- Introducing AfterSchool KidzScience and the Oracle After-School Science Initiative
- Effective Teaching Using AfterSchool KidzScience Kits
- Learning Science in the After School Setting
- Building Community
- For Program Managers: How do you support leaders in teaching science after school?
From WestEd’s Schools Moving Up Webinar Series:
- After School Alignment With the Core Instructional Day in Support of STEM Learning, October 26, 2011
- Expanding Science Learning Opportunities During Out-of-School Time, June 20, 2012
Search http://www.schoolsmovingup.net/cs/smu/print/htdocs/smu/webinars/past.htm to access these 90 minute sessions.